NY Fashion Week Basics FAQ
How do I know if I am doing Fashion Week?
Simply ask your agency if you are going to be in the show package. Show package just means you’re sent out to all the clients your agency has for fashion week and have a card with a special themed layout. Some will ask you, some will just assume one way or another. So its best to ask if you are unsure.
*You are always charged for any cards your agency prints of you but when it comes to FW they usually tac on an extra charge for the “design” time/efforts.
What do I need for fashion week castings?
- Hair Tie
These are the golden three. You will need them at pretty much every fashion week casting. Some may request book but that is rare for fw castings as there are soooo many models to get through but if you can bring it, bring it.
Pick a pair of heels you can walk in like its second nature. Practice in them. Break them in!!!!
I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen girls with great walks, bomb a casting because they didn’t break in their heels. Practice on as many types of floors you can. Carpet, Wood, Cement, find it and walk on it!
I practice all the time. Anytime I’m in heels and there’s a walkway, I practice. Modeling is a skill and you should constantly be honing your skills.
Cards of course. Carry 2x the amount of castings you have, minimum. If you don’t have a card they could forget you and then you wasted all that time and effort. They weigh like 2 ounces each just put a few extras.
Model Bracelet! – hair tie whatever you want to call it, buy a pack, a sprinkle that shiz everywhere. 3 for this bag, 4 for that bag, some in these pockets, you won’t regret it.
- Snacks / Water
- Power Bank
- Cover up
You will get stuck at some fashion week castings for a lot longer than you thought. Having snacks and battery power can help keep you happy and calm while waiting. The clients do not care that they are unorganized or taking forever but they will care if you have an attitude about it. Why waste your time going if you are going to make a bad impression anyways?
It is almost ALWAYS cold back stage. You are sitting still for hours and there is equipment and guest they must keep cool so pack a big scarf or a jacket or shawl.
What do I wear for fashion week castings/fittings?
- The unwritten rule for fashion week is all black everything but i love to wear blues and greys to help my eyes pop. I suggest picking solid colors and you should be fine.
- Stick to something you can change in and out of easily.
- Leggings, jeggings, skinny jeans, shorts, skirts, and a tank top. Think form-fitting so they can see your shape.
- It’s best to wear separates instead of a dress because sometimes they just want to try pants on you or just a top. You’ll get stuck waiting for them to find the other piece or waiting on another model trying it on.
- I stay away from accessories because I don’t want to lose them when changing or having to take them off for the casting and having nowhere to keep them safe or worse hurt a piece of clothing with my accessories. But thats totally a YOU choice.
- You can wear flats to get to the casting but bring your heels. Some girls don’t want to deal with carrying heels but then you risk the client not having any or not having your size and thus screwing up your walk.
How do I do my hair and makeup for fashion week castings?
- Keep it simple for makeup – brows, mascara, under eye concealer and some gloss will do the trick.
- For hair, again, keep it simple. Natural style usually is the best choice, brush it, get some shine spray or creme or whatever works for your hair type, DO NOT go looking like you rolled out of bed.
- You can wear your hair down but they will probably ask for it pulled back so have your model bracelet. (hair tie)
What do I do at fashion week castings?
- Pay attention!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask people their names, make eye contact and pay attention. This is a job interview and treating it like one I guarantee you will get you more bookings. So many models strive to have the “Im too good for this, I don’t care vibe” but if you’re at the casting in the first place, you do care, so be the best you! You will meet these people again, even if they don’t book you now, they will remember you and your attitude/vibes. Making that a positive memory or not is up to you.
- Have your card in your left hand when you walk in the door. Take the ten seconds to stop outside and pull out your card (& book) and put away your phone. This way you are ready to give them the card and shake their hand if it fits the mood. The amount of times I have been complimented for looking “ready to go” when i walk in is a whole lot more than you would think. (Bonus Points if you want to put your heels on before as well!)
What are some tricks to help survive the chaos?
- Get some rest!! Try to sleep as much as you can because it’s going to be long days, everyday. Next thing you know its market week, then bridal week, so get that beauty rest!
- Face Masks – sheets, creams, whatever fits your needs. Try 2x a week and use the time to stretch and decompress.
- Eat healthy! Try and stock up on snacks that you love and keep you fueled. Bananas are great if you forget because EVERYONE sells them and they are cheap AF. (Starbucks, 7-11, Pret, every deli ever, etc.)
- Hydrate! From the inside and the outside. Carry a reusable cup and most people will give you water for free.
- Try yoga or mediation or whatever soothes your soul but find something that you can do at the end of each day to help you re center.
You can not pour from an empty cup! So take the time to take care of yourself so you can be all the greatness that you are for others.